Nurse Arrested: But, What's the Real Story?

Discussions not fitting a specific category
Bill Mills
United States of America

Nurse Arrested: But, What's the Real Story?

Post by Bill Mills »

Was Alex Wubbel's arrest lawful or not?
That will soon be decided by multiple investigations and eventually the Courts, I presume.
But what no one is reporting on, and what I believe might be the REAL story we are being directed away from, is whether the Salt Lake PD obtained the blood sample in question, from the truck driver, after all? After the Nurse was arrested?
Has anyone read or heard?

Bill Mills
United States of America

Re: Nurse Arrested: But, What's the Real Story?

Post by Bill Mills »

And, even if it wasn't obtained, what was the reasoning for them wanting it, anyway?
Consider this...A police pursuit results in the vehicle being chased slamming into the semi driver, head-on. The suspect is DOA. The semi driver, survives, but is in critical condition. If SLPD could show that the semi driver was impaired, he would have little recourse over the accident, arguably caused by SLPD...
It goes far beyond a 4th Amendment violation, at that point...!!!

Roger
Wanderer
United States of America

Post by Roger »

My personal opinion is that Detective Jeff Payne, who is also a phlebotomist, of the Salt Lake City Police Department (SLCPD) acted unlawfully.

Payne arrested a nurse for doing her duty, in which she upheld hospital policy and a Supreme Court ruling, when the hospital refused Payne's demand to personally extract blood from the unconscious burn patient. A follow up to this story has it that the semi-truck driver, William Gray, is a reserve officer in the police department of Rigby, Idaho. Which makes this story even more convoluted if SLCPD was trying to justify their pursuit and subsequent accident that killed the suspect and burned Gray, by procuring evidence that Gray was under some sort of chemical influence. And that might have taken the heat off of the SLCPD for causing the accident. However, with the now current situation as it stands the SLCPD is even further in the wrong for trying to accuse a fellow officer of something that has no cause.

And, yes, the hospital, not the police, had already drawn blood from William Gray, for medical reasons, before the confrontation and arrest of nurse Alex Wubbels.

Incidentally, the University of Utah Hospital has imposed new restrictions on law enforcement, including barring law enforcement officers from patient-care areas, such as the burn unit and emergency room, and from direct contact with nurses. Police will have to contend with “house supervisors” who will handle all police requests.

With all that, what's even more shameful is that the university hospital police failed to act promptly and judiciously in helping Nurse Wobbles, since they didn't take the matter seriously.

Perhaps Jeff Payne is a good man who made a mistake due his frustration and annoyance, everyone is allowed mistakes. Right? Well, maybe not where a officer uses his authority to break the law.

Since law enforcement officers (LEOs) enjoy a unequal and higher level of protection under the law, and that those who do LEOs harm are judged by more stringent articles and sometimes more harshly punished, then LEOs should also be held to higher standards, thus more harshly punished when they wantonly break the law, and in some instances cause harm to another. Much as in nurse Wobbles' case.

With great authority comes a greater responsibility.

What reality are you from?
Bill Mills
United States of America

Post by Bill Mills »

Well put, Roger.
I, personally, am not one to character assassinate, but here are some telling words straight from the horse's mouth...
(Courtesy of This Article found at Heavy.com)
"Later in Payne’s bodycam video, he can be heard speaking to other officers about how the incident could potentially affect his off-duty job at Gold Cross Ambulance. “I wonder how this will affect my Gold Cross job,” Payne says. “I bring patients here.”
Another officer replies, “Yeah, I don’t think they’re going to be very happy with it.”
Payne responds: “I’ll bring them all the transients and take good patients elsewhere.”"

Roger
Wanderer
United States of America

Post by Roger »

Well, it seems that Detective Payne might not be the stand up cop he should have been. But, after attempting to arrest a nurse, we already knew that.

What reality are you from?