The Wishing Machine

Discussions not fitting a specific category
Cat

The Wishing Machine

Post by Cat »

I didn't know where to put this topic but it sure is unusual. Anyone heard of The Wishing Machine?, it uses Radionics to make things manifest in your life. I don't know if this is a scam but people are buying and making these machines. There is a book on it called The Wishing Machine, and also a paper version of it in this book which you can print out and use to manifest things in your life, well I sure am curious about all of this 8-)

Roger
Wanderer
United States of America

Re: The Wishing Machine

Post by Roger »

I had to refresh my memory (and knowledge) of what radionics is. Or, what it's purported to be.

Simply put (as only Wikipedia can do so) Radionics is:
...an alternative medicine that claims disease can be diagnosed and treated with a kind of energy similar to radio waves.

As odd as it sounds, there might be some truth to the claim.

What? Surprised that I didn't automatically debunk it?

The reason I didn't is because we do know that exposure to high levels of non-ionizing energy, such as at radio wave frequencies, can damage the structure and function of the nervous system. Non-ionizing radio waves include such things as power lines, personal wireless devices, cell phone towers and other related sources.

However, certain applications of radio frequency can be helpful, such as transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). TMS is a technique used to induce a short-term interruption of normal activity in a relatively restricted area of the brain by rapidly changing a strong magnetic field near the area of interest. Clinically, TMS may be helpful in alleviating certain symptoms, including those of depression.

Imagine a contraption of head-mounted wire coils delivering powerful, yet evanescent, magnetic pulses directly into focal brain regions to painlessly modulate neural activity by inducing minute electric currents. Frankly, it's sort of reminiscent of a scene from Frankenstein.Yet, it is very real and it works.

So yes, radio waves do affect the human body, even in a beneficial way.

But...

There is always that but...

...when unscrupulous people jump into the fray (and its for one reason only, greed) things can get expensive and deadly.

Take one William Nelson, a 65 year old former math instructor from Colorado, who built a electronic device that could cure.. Well, anything, by firing radio frequencies into the body. However, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which regulates medical devices, was far from convinced and ordered William Nelson to quit selling his machine and making false claims. Nelson refused, and he was indicted on felony fraud charges. He fled the country, never to return.

Nelson now makes and distributes this "medical devices" from Budapest, Hungry. The machines were called Electro Physiological Feedback Xrroid (EPFX), also known as Quantum Xrroid Consciousness Interface (QXCI). Now, they are known as SCIO. Although, they distributors are now listing it as a bio-feed back machine, that relieves stress. Yet, claims are still being made as to their ability to heal all things.

Now, to be fair, as far as I know, radionics doesn't emit any radio waves of any frequency, so in that sense they are harmless. In fact, as one contemporary advocate describes it:
Radionics is a methodology for the detection and manipulation of subtle energies linked to physical matter: animal, vegetable or mineral. It is generally known as a system of vibrational healing wherein curiously configured "black boxes" are used to detect and treat disease conditions of a living body, be it animal or vegetable, anywhere in the universe.

Another advocate says this:
... as Radionic treatment takes place at a non-physical level, it cannot harm any living tissue or produce any unnatural side effects. Radionics is concerned with healing of the whole man, with the health pattern or entelechy of the individual. The health pattern is a singular, unitary force within the structures of man that ensures adequate and optimum functioning of the systems of his body.

But, in another way these "medical devices" can be deadly.

Some advocates claim they can diagnose allergies by using biofeedback (galvanic skin response, just like the polygraph). They claim to read the digital frequencies of allergens. Allergens don't have digital frequencies even if they did, a galvanic skin response meter wouldn't help since all it measures is the resistance of the skin to a small electrical current.

One such company, AllergiCare Relief Centers, not only uses the bogus biofeedback machine, it uses a laser light to stimulate imaginary "biomeridian" points (à la acupuncture), which allegedly strengthens organs so they don't react to the allergens in the future.

Another device, the PAP-IMI, promises the patient can avoid chemotherapy.

U.S. Rep. Jay Inslee called for a congressional investigation into "energy medicine" machines after a 5-month-old boy died following a useless treatment with the PAP-IMI machine.

Unfortunately, several people have died painful deaths from their uncured cancers and other deadly illness', when they believed the false claims of these charlatans. Furthermore, the costs of treatments and even for the purchase home based machines have drained the savings of many people. All for naught.

With all that stated, there is one last factor that we need to take into account.

The Placebo Effect.

A placebo is is anything that seems to be a "real" medical treatment -- but isn't. It could be a pill, a shot, or some other type of "fake" treatment. What all placebos have in common is that they do not contain an active substance meant to affect health. Such as the Wishing Machine.

The placebo effect is a very real effect and is actually used in every medication study, as a way of determining a control.

Researchers use placebos during studies to help them understand what effect a new drug or some other treatment might have on a particular condition.

For instance, some people in a study might be given a new drug to lower cholesterol. Others would get a placebo. None of the people in the study will know if they got the real treatment or the placebo.

Sometimes a person can have a response to a placebo. The response can be positive or negative. For instance, the person's symptoms may improve. Or the person may have what appears to be side effects from the treatment. These responses are known as the "placebo effect."

There are some conditions in which a placebo can produce results even when people know they are taking a placebo. Studies show that placebos can have an effect on conditions such as:
  • Depression
  • Pain
  • Sleep disorders
  • Irritable bowel syndrome
  • Menopause

In one study involving asthma, people using a placebo inhaler did no better on breathing tests than sitting and doing nothing. But when researchers asked for people's perception of how they felt, the placebo inhaler was reported as being as effective as medicine in providing relief.

No one is sure how the placebo effect works, but studies have shown that there are actual physical changes that occur, in the human body, with the placebo effect.

So can I say for sure that the Wishing Box works or doesn't work? No, I can't.

Source:
WebMD: The Placebo Effect: What is it?
Wikipedia: Radionics
The Seattle Times: How one man’s invention is part of a growing worldwide scam that snares the desperately ill
Scientific American: Could certain frequencies of electromagnetic waves or radiation interfere with brain function?

What reality are you from?