Empaths, Are They Real?

Sometimes, what we think and feel can be weirder than that of what we see and hear.
Roger
Wanderer
United States of America

Empaths, Are They Real?

Post by Roger »

Are empaths real people? Or, is this another one of those new age mantras used to explain problematic psychological issues?

I can't say I know for sure, one way or another. What I can say is many people seemingly believe in empathic abilities, and the problems supposedly associated with such abilities.

First, I ask, what is a empath?
According to current acceptance, that is, society's general understanding of what a emapth is, a empath is a person who has the ability to capture and feel the mental or emotional state of another individual.

Secondly, I ask, where does the word empath stem from? Is it some ancient Druid ritual thing?
The term 'empath' comes from a translation done by British psychologist Edward Bradford Titchener, of the German word Einfühlung (meaning empathy) into English. The translation draws "from various writings dedicated in part to revising and refining the term’s aesthetic and moral implications. Einfühlung (empathy) had been used by the German Romantics to describe aesthetic experience, particularly the experience of “feeling into” the natural world, but had become the object of serious philosophical scrutiny only in the later nineteenth century through the work of German philosophers."

Third, I ask, is there a distinction between being empathic and being a empath?
Generally, being emapthic refers to a person having a sense of empathy toward another person's emotional plight, perhaps because they have had a similar experience with similar feelings, or perhaps having empathy simply means a person truly cares. Being a empath does not necessarily confer a empathic sense to one, although some empaths might be empathetic as well. Being an empath could actually work in reverse, instead of being empathatic a empath could become inured or numb to the feelings of others, thus presenting unrepsonsive behavior, and even a cold dismissal of another's emotional pain. So there is a distinct difference between being empathetic and being an empath.

Finally, I ask, are empaths real?
Based on the increasing number of people battling psychological problems then somehow discovering it isn't really their problems they are experiencing, but the negative feelings they are picking up from others, then I'd say, at least with that definition of the word, empaths are real. Does that mean a empath doesn't have a paranormal ability? No, not at all. No one can prove the existence or non-existence of paranormal abilities to the level required to be accepted as the last word. Arguably, there are far too many supposedly paranormal instances consistently occurring throughout the world to write off the existence of such things. Thus, based on such loose logic, I'd have to state that empaths are real people who have discovered a method of dealing with the psychological issues many of us face, and whom have used that understanding and awareness to better themselves and perhaps others. And, that can't be bad.

Sources:
  1. https://translate.google.com
  2. http://www.branchcollective.org/?ps_articles=rae-greiner-1909-the-introduction-of-the-word-empathy-into-english
  3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy
  4. http://www.drjudithorloff.com/Free-Articles/emotional-empath-EF.htm
Last edited by Roger on Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

What reality are you from?
Sohmee

Re: Empaths, Are They Real?

Post by Sohmee »

Being an Empathic Medium you know I had to reply! :D

First of all I would like to note that there are actually at least 2 separate types of Empaths; emotional and physical. I, for the most part, am an emotional Empath. At times this has made my life a living hell. It was only through realizing my abilities and years of training that I have finally learned to separate my emotions from those of other people, both living and deceased. Once I mastered this ability things calmed down for me quite a bit. I have, on occasion, had experiences with physical empathy, i.e. chest pain (heart attack), head pain (aneurysm/bullet to the head), severe pain in side (appendicitis) and so forth. I recall often being at the doctor feeling terrible and the doctors being unable to find anything wrong. At one point I was even labelled a hypochondriac.

You are very correct in your definition of being empathetic. We, as humans, ALL have the ability to empathize with others with whom we share common feelings or experiences. But imagine, if you will, feeling angry/happy/sad/murderous/suicidal/envy/in love and a myriad of other emotions all at once? Imagine how depressed and out of control you would feel and the whole time people telling you you have NO reason to feel this way so why do you? Now, in saying this I must urge any readers who are feeling this way to seek medical attention as to rule out any psychological issues because labeling yourself an Empath is NOT a cure all for any emotional stress you may have been experiencing. One of the questions often put to me by family and friends was "why are you crying?" and the honest truth was, I had no idea why. As I grew older, rage took over along with a sense of being put upon, a sense of entitlement and a feeling that if I simply had more material things I would be happy. All I can say now is, since acknowledging my abilities and learning to deal with them I am a much happier person. And it DOES take work, learning to deal with this. Please don't misconstrue my remarks as an easy way out of the emotional labyrinth Empaths usually find themselves on.

So, in essence I agree with all you wrote, Roger, but must add simply that learning the distinction between your own emotions and that of others is key to figuring out how strong this ability may be in each individual. In my work as a paranormal investigator I have run across numerous teenagers, especially who have been dragged from doctor to doctor looking for answers (one young man, a physical Empath, even had a few unnecessary surgeries where they found nothing wrong before he finally told his mother he believed there were spirits in the house). To me, having learned from my own experiences, this is one of the saddest instances out there in the metaphysical world; that modern science disregards something so basic as empathy to the point they throw a pill at you and expect you to live in a fog for the rest of your life.

I could write for hours on this subject but won't take up the space.

Thank you, Roger for bringing up this topic, so pertinent in today's world when so many are feeling so lost and no idea why.

Roger
Wanderer
United States of America

Re: Empaths, Are They Real?

Post by Roger »

Thainks for the clarifications on the two types of empaths. Although, I knew of the two types, I did negleact to mention them.

I do enjoy learning about empaths and attempting to understand the psychology behind the 'emoting' or transmission and reception of emotions. As you well know I've a great interest in the mechanics behind it all, however, I feel the workings found within the human mind and body, concerning emotions, is rather difficult to come to terms with. Partly because, although it isn't magic, the way such things work, it might as well be magic, with neither rhyme nor reason.

Anyway, thanks again for posting and explaining what I thoughtlessly and unintentionally ignored.

What reality are you from?