The Real Question

Discussions not fitting a specific category
Admin
Wanderer
United States of America

The Real Question

Post by Admin »

We've held the mantle of being the free world's leader for years, since World War 2, or eight decades- 75 years!

Hard to imagine that the United States has lasted so long as a leading nation and a world leader, not because we wanted that honor and the title, but still, somehow, we ended up with it. We wore the mantle as best as we could even as we rebuilt from World War 2, sallying forth five years later for the Korean War. Then we were engulfed for 12 years in the Vietnam War, and during this time, we, as a society, went through radical social changes. The Civil Rights Act, the end to national school segregation, the hippy peace movement, intermittent windshield wipers, Vietnam war protests, and so on. Some technologies sped up social change, and a few technologies even created the need for social change (what comes to mind is the personal computer and the mobile phone and their respective support systems).

I know some people aren't going to agree with my reasoning, and that's okay to as we should be able to "agree to disagree."

But I'm curious, what technology, what thinking, what event or series of events brought about the hatred of our fellow Americans? How did we get to this hostile political environment, where even our supposedly mature and responsible politicians act worse than children throwing tantrums, and others call for civil war so they can impose their political beliefs on the rest of us?

We're living in America, yet all this sounds frighteningly similar, much like the Taliban.