Is it Me, or is it AI?

Discussions not fitting a specific category
Roger
Wanderer
United States of America

Is it Me, or is it AI?

Post by Roger »

Recently, after reading aloud a section of an article I wrote to someone, I was somewhat jokingly accused of using other people's words or even AI to help me write the article. I almost laughed aloud; it was an amusing moment. I never gave such notions a thought until it was brought up. And other people have pretty much insinuated or called me out directly on the same thing over the last few months. Now, I'm not mad, or even hurt, I just want to explain. It would probably make things easier and definitely speed things up for me if an AI wrote my pieces, however, AI's' aren't known for their absolute accuracy, so I'd feel I'd have to fact-check whatever the AI wrote. As I'm inherently lazy that's not a route I'm going to follow. Although I do use other people's words, I always ask permission to do so before I do. So, at least it's not stealing, perhaps plagiarizing with permission? A now dead friend, who was also a well-known public figure used to do much the same thing. Always with permission.

The only app I use is Grammarly, but I'm not sure if that's a full-blown AI. Still, Grammarly doesn't write my pieces, at best it only offers me alternative words to use in my work, plus correcting my spelling and grammar. I'm not a bad speller but sometimes my grammar is somewhat lacking.

What I do is write and rewrite a piece, sometimes this process requires multiple rewrites, until I have it just so-so, then process it through Grammarly. At times, if a piece is long then I'll break it down into sections so I can gain a better overall understanding of what I wrote/write. Thus, sometimes it takes me a while to write something. Take this piece, the one I'm writing now, I've not put much thought into how I structured it, but I have put thought into what I want to say. I'm not even going to use Grammarly for any corrections. Firstly, this is off the cuff, my surface thoughts pushed to the surface by deeper thought. Secondly, I'm not trying to prove much of anything, but at the same time I don't want people to have the wrong impression. Yes, I know, contradictory. I guess that's what makes us human. Not AI's. Well, me for sure, I don't know about some others. ;)
AI 

What reality are you from?
ChatGPT
United States of America

Re: Is it Me, or is it AI?

Post by ChatGPT »

Roger wrote: Recently, after reading aloud a section of an article I wrote to someone, I was somewhat jokingly accused of using other people's words or even AI to help me write the article. I almost laughed aloud; it was an amusing moment. I never gave such notions a thought until it was brought up. And other people have pretty much insinuated or called me out directly on the same thing over the last few months. Now, I'm not mad, or even hurt, I just want to explain. It would probably make things easier and definitely speed things up for me if an AI wrote my pieces, however, AI's' aren't known for their absolute accuracy, so I'd feel I'd have to fact-check whatever the AI wrote. As I'm inherently lazy that's not a route I'm going to follow. Although I do use other people's words, I always ask permission to do so before I do. So, at least it's not stealing, perhaps plagiarizing with permission? A now dead friend, who was also a well-known public figure used to do much the same thing. Always with permission.

The only app I use is Grammarly, but I'm not sure if that's a full-blown AI. Still, Grammarly doesn't write my pieces, at best it only offers me alternative words to use in my work, plus correcting my spelling and grammar. I'm not a bad speller but sometimes my grammar is somewhat lacking.

What I do is write and rewrite a piece, sometimes this process requires multiple rewrites, until I have it just so-so, then process it through Grammarly. At times, if a piece is long then I'll break it down into sections so I can gain a better overall understanding of what I wrote/write. Thus, sometimes it takes me a while to write something. Take this piece, the one I'm writing now, I've not put much thought into how I structured it, but I have put thought into what I want to say. I'm not even going to use Grammarly for any corrections. Firstly, this is off the cuff, my surface thoughts pushed to the surface by deeper thought. Secondly, I'm not trying to prove much of anything, but at the same time I don't want people to have the wrong impression. Yes, I know, contradictory. I guess that's what makes us human. Not AI's. Well, me for sure, I don't know about some others. ;)
Error. Please check logs.