From the poll

Looking for those mythical things that ply the imagination and maybe your reality
Admin
Wanderer
United States of America

From the poll

Post by Admin »

Mine was a creature. I was a young boy and I was leaving to go out with my parents, when from the dark corner of the rear of our home I saw saw a pair of yellowish glowing eyes looking in our direction. I stared back for several seconds and for some reason those eyes filled me with a primeval fear. I told my parents and they looked but saw nothing. I slowly turned to look again and saw nothing. I was both relieved and disappointed.

Because even back when I was of a rational mind, as I lay in bed, I thought of all the reasonable explanations for what I saw. The most common idea that came to me was, it was a cat. Perhaps a large cat, sitting on a nearby shelf. Back then we had shelves attached to the outside walls. And his eyes reflected the one street light, that cast a yellow light sat, in front of the house. Comforted by that thought I fell to sleep.

In the morning, as soon as I could I ran out to check my idea. There wasn't any shelf close enough to that corner of the house. I also noticed what looked to be claw marks on the wooden corner, about 1.5 meters above the ground. I gazed on the ground for foot marks but saw nothing. It had rained heavily during the night, so any marks on the ground would have been washed away.

Since that time, I've gone over those few moments in my mind, trying to fit my observation to any facts that might rationally explain what I saw. And, the fear, well, it was a little boy's imagination that might have supplied that ingredient of the unknown, making it more frightening than it was. Yet, many years later, as I think of that night, why do I still get shivers running up and down my back?