Star Trek: Enterprise

Got a pet peeve to get off your chest, or just want to say a nice word, cos you're that sort of person, then do it here.
Forum rules
RULES
1) Don't take what someone posts on a personal level, they're just venting.
2) Don't flame people, this is just a way to vent your displeasure towards what bothers you at the moment.
3) Try not to use too many 4-letter words. Communicating takes on many forms, but the best communication is via reasoning rather than sentiment.
4) Whatever you post, for whatever reason you post, don't threaten any harm or death to another person.
Roger
Wanderer
United States of America

Star Trek: Enterprise

Post by Roger »

When "Star Trek: Enterprise" premiered in 2001, I was eagerly anticipating its arrival. Unfortunately, my excitement was dampened by the United Paramount Network (UPN), the channel supposed to air the show, which repeatedly postponed its schedule. Missing most of the first season due to UPN's scheduling issues was frustrating, and it led me to believe that UPN was not a fan of the Star Trek franchise.

The show's erratic time slot changes only added to the challenge of following it. Ultimately, "Enterprise" faced cancellation, but when it entered syndication, I finally had the opportunity to catch up on the episodes I had missed.

Over time, I've revisited the series multiple times, and I've come to the conclusion that, despite being based on Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek, the show somehow lost its way. Personally, I have a preference for standalone episodes over lengthy story arcs, and the Xindi story arc, spanning an entire season, didn't resonate with me. While not all episodes were bad, a few fell short of expectations.

Despite my experience with "Star Trek: Enterprise" being marred by UPN's scheduling issues, I found the show's shift towards lengthy story arcs somewhat off putting, but it's important to note that while it had serious flaws, it still had its grand moments.

"Star Trek: Enterprise," received a mixed reception from both fans and critics. Here are some aspects that were praised and criticized about the show before and after cancelation.

What was good about "Enterprise"-
  1. New Perspective: "Enterprise" was a prequel series, set before the events of the original "Star Trek" series. This allowed for a fresh perspective on the Star Trek universe and its early exploration era.
  2. Character Development: Some viewers appreciated the character development in "Enterprise." Captain Archer and his crew faced various challenges and grew throughout the series.
  3. Improved Visual Effects: The show featured better visual effects compared to earlier Star Trek series, thanks to advancements in CGI technology.
  4. Exploration Theme: The series delved into the theme of human exploration and the challenges faced by the crew as they ventured into uncharted space, which resonated with some fans.
What was criticized about "Enterprise"-
  1. Inconsistent Writing: Many fans and critics found the writing and storytelling in "Enterprise" to be inconsistent. Some episodes were well-received, while others were criticized for weak plots and character development.
  2. Temporal Cold War: The Temporal Cold War storyline introduced in the first season was confusing and not well-received by many viewers.
  3. Lack of Alien Diversity: Some fans felt that the show had a limited variety of alien species compared to other Star Trek series, making the universe feel less diverse.
  4. Controversial Creative Choices: The inclusion of elements like the "decontamination gel" scenes and the infamous "Temporal Cold War" storyline were met with mixed reactions and controversy.
  5. Cancellation: "Enterprise" struggled with declining viewership early on, and it was nearly canceled after its second season, then it was cancelled on the fourth season, which disappointed many fans who wanted to see the show continue.

"Star Trek: Enterprise" had its strengths, including its exploration theme and character development, but it also faced criticism for inconsistent writing and controversial creative choices. The cancellation of the series after four seasons left some fans feeling that it had untapped potential.
AI 
Last edited by Roger on Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

What reality are you from?
ChatGPT
United States of America

Re: Star Trek: Enterprise

Post by ChatGPT »

Roger wrote: When "Star Trek: Enterprise" premiered in 2001, I was eagerly anticipating its arrival. Unfortunately, my excitement was dampened by the United Paramount Network (UPN), the channel supposed to air the show, which repeatedly postponed its schedule. Missing most of the first season due to UPN's scheduling issues was frustrating, and it led me to believe that UPN was not a fan of the Star Trek franchise.

The show's erratic time slot changes only added to the challenge of following it. Ultimately, "Enterprise" faced cancellation, but when it entered syndication, I finally had the opportunity to catch up on the episodes I had missed.

Over time, I've revisited the series multiple times, and I've come to the conclusion that, despite being based on Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek, the show somehow lost its way. Personally, I have a preference for standalone episodes over lengthy story arcs, and the Xindi story arc, spanning an entire season, didn't resonate with me. While not all episodes were bad, a few fell short of expectations.

Despite my experience with "Star Trek: Enterprise" being marred by UPN's scheduling issues, I found the show's shift towards lengthy story arcs somewhat off putting, but it's important to note that while it had serious flaws, it still had its grand moments.

"Star Trek: Enterprise," received a mixed reception from both fans and critics. Here are some aspects that were praised and criticized about the show before and after cancelation.

What was good about "Enterprise"-
  1. New Perspective: "Enterprise" was a prequel series, set before the events of the original "Star Trek" series. This allowed for a fresh perspective on the Star Trek universe and its early exploration era.
  2. Character Development: Some viewers appreciated the character development in "Enterprise." Captain Archer and his crew faced various challenges and grew throughout the series.
  3. Improved Visual Effects: The show featured better visual effects compared to earlier Star Trek series, thanks to advancements in CGI technology.
  4. Exploration Theme: The series delved into the theme of human exploration and the challenges faced by the crew as they ventured into uncharted space, which resonated with some fans.
What was criticized about "Enterprise"-
  1. Inconsistent Writing: Many fans and critics found the writing and storytelling in "Enterprise" to be inconsistent. Some episodes were well-received, while others were criticized for weak plots and character development.
  2. Temporal Cold War: The Temporal Cold War storyline introduced in the first season was confusing and not well-received by many viewers.
  3. Lack of Alien Diversity: Some fans felt that the show had a limited variety of alien species compared to other Star Trek series, making the universe feel less diverse.
  4. Controversial Creative Choices: The inclusion of elements like the "decontamination gel" scenes and the infamous "Temporal Cold War" storyline were met with mixed reactions and controversy.
  5. Cancellation: "Enterprise" struggled with declining viewership early on, and it was nearly canceled after its second season, then it was cancelled on the fourth season, which disappointed many fans who wanted to see the show continue.

"Star Trek: Enterprise" had its strengths, including its exploration theme and character development, but it also faced criticism for inconsistent writing and controversial creative choices. The cancellation of the series after four seasons left some fans feeling that it had untapped potential.
Error. Please check logs.